††††††††††† This is the abridged abridged game play version of the rules which contains only very highly noteworthy game day rules written more simply. The official league rules document supersedes the abridged abridged game play rules document.
Number of players:
- Need 7 players to play a game.
- Only 7 players present, the other team must supply a catcher.
- A team may pretty much rotate players in the field freely. Only one player is allowed to field but not hit.
- You must have a minimum of 8 in the lineup, or you take automatic outs.
- If you want to have 10 fielders, you have to bat 10 hitters in the lineup. If your 10th player is late, youíll have to take an automatic out in the lineup if you want to field 10 later in the game. If you want to have 9 fielders, you have to bat 9 hitters in the lineup. If your 9th player is late, youíll have to take an automatic out in the lineup if you want to field 9 later in the game.
- If you have at least 9 players at game time, the game starts. If you have at least 8 players within 10 minutes of game time, the game starts.
- If you are the home team and you donít have enough players to start Ė the away team automatically has the OPTION of becoming the home team for the game to get the game started.
- Regular season mercy rule is 10 runs AFTER 5, or go up by 15 runs anytime after 3 innings.
- Playoff mercy rule is 12 runs AFTER 5.
The Strike Zone
Between the batter's arm pits and lower knees.
Base Leading / Base Running
- Leading is allowed only after the release of the pitch by the pitcher. No stealing Ė there is a force back to the base after every pitch.
- Tagging up is allowed at all bases.
- Time Out can only be requested by the player, but it has to be granted by the umpire.
- This league will use standard ASA MODIFIED pitching rules unless otherwise noted. Must use an underhand motion. No windmill.
- A pitcher must release the ball having one foot either on or behind the pitching rubber line.† A pitcher may take at most ONE step up to the pitching rubber prior to releasing a pitch. No running up.
- When throwing a pitch, a pitcherís planted foot cannot veer more than a half foot off horizontally (left or right) of the pitching rubber.
- 8 warm-up pitches are allowed before a pitcherís first inning of pitching. Between innings, pitchers get 3 warm up pitchers, and can be granted two additional warm-up pitches by the umpire.
- Pitching rubber distance to home plate: 43 Feet
- THREE players can get a courtesy runner for them during the game. They need not be run for every time.
- If there is an emergency, you can also get a free courtesy runner.
- The player that runs as a courtesy is the last player to bat who isnít on base and who isnít scored (not necessarily the last batted out), or any player on the teamís bench who is not currently in the lineup.
- Pinch hitters/runners as normal, but the player who is pinch hit/run for can typically still field.
- In a non-medical emergency, if a player leaves, the lineup spot will take an automatic out. If itís a medical emergency, you can skip the lineup spot.
- If both captains agree, you can change a ground rule change.
- The dugout is out of play, and the extension of the back of the dugout line to infinity is also out of play.
- If a ball is hit into the end of the outfield, into the bushes/trees/fence, the umpire will judgmentally award all runners with the bases that the player(s) would have easily gotten.
- Pitching rubber distance to home plate: 43 Feet
- All bases will be 65 feet apart
- All teams must provide their OWN catcherís mask at their OWN cost. The opposing team does NOT have to share a catcherís mask.
- Catchers will NOT be allowed behind the plate if they are not masked.
- Metal cleats are NOT allowed at any games.
- Bats will not be provided. Certified ASA softball metal bats only.
- Bats do NOT have to be shared by teams.
Alcoholic Beverages and Smoking
- There will be NO alcoholic beverages permitted at any field during a game by any player.† There is no smoking or vaping ANYWHERE near the field. If an umpire, league official or park employee catches you Ė you or your team may be suspended or expelled from the league without refund.
Game Length and Duration of Games
- ††††††††† 7 inning games (subject to time constraints).
-†††††††††† Games will have a start time of either 7:45 PM ET or 9:30 PM ET.
-†††††††††† Games will have an official start time of either 7:50 PM ET or 9:35 PM ET.
- ††††††††† For 7:50 PM games, no new inning shall start after 9:25 PM. Games will not be permitted to play past 9:40 PM for any reason.
For 9:30 PM games, no new inning shall start after 11:10 PM. Games will not be permitted to play past 11:25 PM for any reason.
All extra innings will begin with a runner on second base.
- Games are official after 4 full innings.
- Games are replayed if less than 4 full innings unless a team is winning by 5 runs (then becomes suspended).
- Games may end in a tie.
- If a playoff game is tied, then the higher seed moves on to the next playoff round.
Last Updated on: May 4, 2022 at 12:00 PM EDT by Ariel